Oil Gush!!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Gush!!
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 21:47:40 EDT
I commenced to remove the oil pan and found one of the front oil pan bolts
missing--the hole had been stripped.  When I removed the oil pan I found that
with the bolt out, the  bolt hole was a straight hole into the block above
the oil pan.  Oil was simply draining out this hole just as though it were an
oil drain.  Is this normal?  Or has something been broken off inside the
block that would have closed this hole?

I assume a helicoil (?) will be a fix for the threads, but do I need to find
a way to enclosed the bolt and hole inside the block so it won't drain if the
bolt is out?  I have never used a helicoil before.  Any procedures I should
know, assuming that is one of the fixes?  Thanks!

--David C.