Re: Gentlemen, Start your engines!

To: Philip S Jones <pkj@eskimo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gentlemen, Start your engines!
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 23:40:33 -0700
Phil and Listers,
     UPDATE!  Got her running today!  After going to the hardware store and
buying a 1/2 inch UNF x 3/4 inch bolt, I came home and used my Dremel to cut
about 3/8ths inch of threads off.  I guess 3/4 inch of thread was too long, it
wouldn't seat.   Used the fiber washer from the piece of s*** water drain valve
that had leaked and solved that problem.  Got the leak in the filter canister
down to a slow,slow drip.  Doesn't seem like an English car unless something is
leaking.
     I turned her over without the spark plugs in, and the key was off, to get
the oil pressure up before the first try at running the engine.  After observing
oil lubricating the rocker assembly, I shut it down and did a static time of the
distributor and points, polarized the generator and poured gas in the tank.
After observing no leaks from the tanks,  I turned her over again with the key
off to get gas up to the carbs.  After priming the fuel pump a few times, I
crossed my fingers and turned the key on.  One pull of the starter and she
started right up.  My great excitement was short lived, two new leaks pop up!
Now the heater water valve leaks anti-freeze through the top and both carbs leak
through the jet assemblies.  The generator ignition warning light stays on and
the car runs off the battery.  The carbs are freshly rebuilt and so is the
generator.  Maybe the cork seals in the carbs has to expand.  Maybe my ignition
switch (original) is bad.  Maybe Lord Lucas is saying, "Oh, no it's not going to
be that easy!"
     Anyway, she runs at 160 degrees so far, at least I think so.  That's when
the thermostat opened and the leaking valve started dribbling on the garage
floor and thus ended the engine break-in.  It was idling at 60 PSI oil pressure
at 2000 RPM (carbs need adjusting) cold.  Well, tomorrow bleed the brakes and do
some troubleshooting.
     All in all I'd say a well spent 2 week vacation. Go from bare shell with
suspension, tires and brakes to a running car with dashboard and gauges ( those
work too!).  WOO HOO!!!
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite (Running with leaks)