Engineers question - machining drums (8")

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Engineers question - machining drums (8")
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 08:41:22 EDT
Hi list,

A question for all you engineers out there.  I have just bought another set
of 8"rear drum assemblies both because I want a spare set of back plates for
the sake of it since they are NLA but also for when I swap over the back
axle(casing) (I want the hubs on the axle before installation).

I had to buy (secondhand) the whole assembly complete with drums and looking
at the drums they are similar to the Spridget drum in that they have that
thick fin type section at the rear of the drum.  SO............ does this
thick fin do anything?  Can this thick lip be machined off or will the drum
explode at high speed (I run my Sprite at over 110mph sometimes with 90mph on
a regular basis)?

I don't think the 8" drums get excessively hot and bellmouth or anything like
that because they aren't working much harder than standard drums I fitted
them for the extra size for handbrake turns, rather than inadquacy of the
standard drum size (obviously the front brakes work the hardest due to weight
transfer).

So what do you think?  Should I have the fin machined off to same some weight
or what?

Daniel1312