time to diet

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: time to diet
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 00:14:41 -0700
Well for the third time I snapped a leaf on the driver side rear
spring. This time I had to build up a spring from the six (!) spares.
I noticed that there were several iterations, with a couple of
different leaf lengths and and banding patterns. Strange, I guess the
design changed with increasing weight and power.

So, I'm pretty good at changing out springs now, but this begs the
question: Am I doing it wrong and this is why I have broken 3? It's a
pretty simple operation, but there is on point that I've always
wondered about. The manuals say to do the final tightening of the
U-bolt nuts after the car has been lowered and the spring is taking
its weight. Should I first drive around a bit to let everything
settle, or should I just tighten the nuts as soon as I lower the car?

TIA,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>