Re: Gas Gage

To: "Mike Maclean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Gage
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 09:20:51 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Mike:  Try to first determine if it is the gauge itself.  Disconnect
both wires from the gauge and connect them to your trusty $12 Volt Ohmmeter.
(BTW it must be an analog VOM)  Start on DC Volts something around 12 volts
and scale down as necessary till you get about mid scale indication.  If it
reads steady then of course it is the gauge.....which I think will be the
case.  If it is bouncing then go to the buss or battery and reread the
voltage....if your voltage regulator is cycling rapidly it can cause this
situation.  That is why later cars had instrument voltage regulators for the
electrically operated instruments.  Larry