Ribcase vs. smoothcase

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ribcase vs. smoothcase
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:37:53 -0700
The engine is coming out of the Sprite soon and while it's out the
transmission, with it's noisy 1st gear and shot 2nd synchro, is going to get
some attention (read: be replaced!).  The car is a 1960 Bugeye with 948,
smoothcase, drum brakes, etc.  So, the question is do I replace the
smoothcase with another smoothcase or with a ribcase?  I've got quotes for
both (in the $600-$800 range, rebuilt).  I like the originality of the
smoothcase but there is also the appeal of the ribcase improvements
(bearings, synchros, etc.).  We don't plan on driving this car all that
much, in fact I'd be surprised if it sees more than a few thousand miles a
year, so the longevity of a smoothcase may not be much of an issue.  We've
already veoted the Datsun 5 speed option (it has to stay British).

Any opinions, anyone?

Thanks,
Rich Hill
'79 MG Midget