Re: 1275 timing cover

To: <DLancer7676@cs.com>
Subject: Re: 1275 timing cover
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:19:21 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>

> In a message dated 5/31/2000 2:52:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
xirias@hol.gr
> writes:
>
> << The 1275cc engine in my Sprite (12V prefix) has no timing marks
>  on its timing cover at all! They must have been sheared off at some
>  point in its long history.
>
>  >

> Evangelos:
>
> The timing marks on the 1275 engine were fairly unusable anyway, unless
you
> have      VERY long arms, because they were placed on the BOTTOM of the
> timing chain cover, i.e., the bottom of the engine.  Somewhere I saw an
> article, in a book or magazine, instructing as to how to spot weld a
> shop-crafted timing mark so that it was oriented ON TOP of the pulley and
> could be seen from above where you could adjust the timing while watching
the
> mark with a light.
>
> It would be easy to do once the indicator was made, since 0 degrees would
be
> TDC.  Perhaps someone on the list has done this and can tell us more about
> how they did it.
>
> --David C.

Yes.  Available at almost every scrapyard in the entire U.K.  BMC/BL/Rover
changed the design for the later models of Ital/Marina and for the entire
Metro/Maestro range to the exact design you have spoken of.  The hardest
problem for you to overcome is the cost of shipping and the cost of US
importation duty on the value of the scrap metal.  They are on their way to
Texas and hopefully will be for sale soon.  If more are wanted (private
sales or trade?) then I can get them in the next few weeks.  Turbo kits,
maintenance-free ignition systems etc also.  There are ten completed
A-series electronic distributors kits in the hangar at work right now but
are probably going to be sold over here instead due to demand.  The Mini
fuel injection systems from Rover are way too expensive, even used ones, so
are not worth buying.  This 'BEEFI' sounds good!