Re: Sorry I forgot to check the archives first...

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sorry I forgot to check the archives first...
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:11:30 -0400
List,

I agree completely with Mr. Macy's comments.

Although I like the idea of having the archives, personally, I find it
cumbersome.  I encourage posts to the point that I take offense when
those suggest that members interrogate the archive first.  I do not think
the purpose of the List is to create a database which is to be searched
before posting questions.  Should we only ask questions if not found in the
archives?  Absurd!

If we can put up with discussion of cats, we can certainly tolerate actual
lbc content questions even if discussed previously.  This is the mission of
the List.  Guess what, others probably have the same questions and you
might actually learn something in the review.

Perhaps it would be helpful if the List generates an index of all topics
covered within the database.  Also, when folks subscribe to the List, does
the email from MajorDomo tell them about the archive?  It should.  I guess
the current system of expecting a select few of our current List members
of emailing new members nasty messages letting them know that they
missed a discussion two years ago which can be found in the archives
can continue.  (diagram that sentence)

The "no lbc content" is working great and everyone has a 'delete' key.

Paul

From            Larry Macy <macy at bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>