Re: Concours values (was Re: '61 Sprite Value

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Concours values (was Re: '61 Sprite Value
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 10:25:21 -0700
Cc: Wiedemeyer <boxweed@thebest.net>, spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Ron,
     I saw Rob's Bugeye just before he sold it at auction last year.  It
was a very, very well done restoration.  His attention to detail was
fanatical to say the least.  He had been obtaining parts for a concours
restoration for 25 years.  He had ALL NOS parts on that car.
Damn few repro parts, maybe some of the rubber ones.  Interesting
though, is that he really had to sell it as soon as possible when he
noticed the seams and some surfaces were beginning to show rust from his
acid dip a couple of years earlier. This did not show from the outside
which is why it went to auction for sale. By the way I have those 40
year old
Dunlop tires he had on it in 1992 when he had it judged Gold Level.  He
sold them to me for $150.00 and the "cracks" in the sidewalls are many
and rather large.  The whitewall was added after he obtained them.  Not
as original on the export cars. So, not everything is as it appears.
Unless it actually did come out of a "time machine" I don't think there
is ANY Sprite, Bugeye or not that is worth $15,000.  I have much more
than that in my Bugeye restoration (the body work cost half of what was
invested in this restoration), but I'd be lucky to see $15,000 for mine.

Mike MacLean-60 Sprite