Re: Head gasket probs... Felpro or BECK/ARNLY (longish)

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Toby Atwater" <tob.sprite.landcruiser@home.com>
Subject: Re: Head gasket probs... Felpro or BECK/ARNLY (longish)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:53:17 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
From Toby Atwater <tob.sprite.landcruiser at home.com>
> 1) You know those exhaust rings that go between manifold and head

They simply locate the inlet manifold more accurately to ensure max airflow.

> 3) I
> used a few layers of Copper spray on it and everything. My father
leisurely
> told me how he was playing around with my stuff yesterday and noticed some
> holes in the gasket didn't line up with the galleries on the head, and
even
> blocked some off. DOH! Shouldn't a 1275 gasket be a 1275 gasket? there
> were\are no discrepancies year to year, is there? I must have been brain
> dead not to check this stuff out.

I've never used any goop at all on my cars and never had a problem.  Why use
goop?  Just curious.
It isn't a 1098 gasket is it?  Smaller chamber size that is a different
shape.  It will fit close enough that you will not notice the mis-match.
You shouldn't have any gasket overlapping the chamber.  The 1275 A+ heads
have fewer water holes than the 1098 heads in my store so there are 3 spare
holes in a 1098 gasket if you used it on my 1275 with about 1-2mm overhang
into the cylinder.

> 4) The head was tested and ground at the machine shop for flatness and all
> that. But I never checked the block. It could be warped I guess in the
> middle and that's why #2 and #3 are wet while the others are fine.
Something
> else to check while the head is off.

Remove the studs and chamfer a little from the tops of the bolt holes with a
45 degree coutersinking tool in an electric drill.  Just removing the
topmost thread should ensure that if the stud has previously pulled up a
ridge of material, it should no longer pose a problem.  Clean up both
surfaces and lay the head down on the block with just a couple of studs to
locate it.  Shine a torch through from the other side to show up any large
discrepancy since you know your head was OK.  Using a straight edge ruler
isn't 'always' a guarantee as you aren't sure the straight edge is actually
straight!>

Could be a crack between the water jacket and the roof of the centre exhaust
port.  For the cost, I would at least try another head, although they are
possibly more expensive over on your side of the water.  £5 over here.

Good luck

Rob Thomas
Wales
1972 hybrid