Re: SUCCESS!

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: SUCCESS!
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 21:03:56 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> The '68 sputtered back to life today... thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Another one comes back to life!

> That's the good news.  Now its time to focus on some more expensive
>projects...
>
> Took it around the block, the brakes seem to be firm, though not as tight as
>I would have liked.

I am sure the rotors and drums are rusty, 50 miles of cautious city
driving will clean them up. Probably a brake fluid flush and rebuild
kits all around wouldn't hurt. If one cylinder goes, the rest will
follow.

 Upon close examination of the valves, I noticed that a semi-circular
keeper ring had come off of valve #7, and was sitting next to the
spring.  Can this be fixed without pulling the head?  Is there a way to
compress the spring, perhaps by blowing compressed air into the
cylinder?

Yes, pump it up with air. How did it run with out dropping that valve?
Man are you lucky!!
Compressed air will keep the valve up, then lever the spring down and
insert the keepers. Smack it with a hammer to seat the keepers.

>   (How do you confirm that the water pump is pumping?)

Feel the head, if it gets too hot to touch, either the t/stat is stuck
or the w/pump is shot. Most of the time the w/pumps leak, they always
pump unless no antifreeze was in the engine and it froze and snapped the
impeller off. (doubtful)

  After a bit of time, I restarted it to park it in the garage, and when
I tried to engage reverse, there was a grinding sound, and with the
clutch still depressed, the car started moving.  Same thing with first
and second gear.  Is this more likely an issue with the hydraulics, or
could it be the release bearing?

Again fresh fluid and rebuild kits will help.
Try pumping the clutch, if this helps, then it is definately hydraulics.
If it does not get better, try the old nut in the slave trick, if it get
better then, the clutch is probably on it's way out.

> Or even better, is this problem common to long-dormant vehicles, and will
>just go away?

Ha Ha!

> Other things to fix include tachometer, turn signals, horn, brake lights,
>reverse lamp, door panel fit, bonnet release mechanism, front end (front left
>tire made contact with the body on a sharp turn) and probably a bunch of other
>things I haven't discovered yet.

New trunion bushings in the front end for sure.
All the Lucas stuff probably needs contacts and grounds cleaned.

> As for carb-whacking, one properly placed whack caused a disnitegrated o-ring
>from the older jets fell out.  Perhaps this was causing some fuel starvation.

These cars need a whack every now and then.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ