Re: DOT3 Brake Fluid

To: IfixMGs@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DOT3 Brake Fluid
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:57:56 EDT
In a message dated 7/2/00 5:10:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, IfixMGs@aol.com
writes:

<< Just popped the hood on my 100 mile 2000 Gran Prix. Brake filler says "Use
 ONLY
 DOT 3 Brake Fluid" with the ONLY in caps.... it has traction control and
ABS.
 Wonder what the deal is - surely GM hasn't turned to the UK for seals??? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

American DOT 3 brake fluid (and DOT 4, which CAN be used!) works as a
lubricant for the hydraulic pump for the ABS.  They DO NOT want you using DOT
5, silicone brake fluid, which does not adequately lubricate the pump.  (Do
not believe the advertising on the DOT 5 label if it says for "ALL brake
systems.")

AFAIK, standard formulations of DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluid are completely
compatible and will work even if mixed.  The difference is in the temp
rating.  It's kinda like mixing 10W 30 and 10W 40 motor oil.  It won't matter
much.  Some racing fluids, the new Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (DOT 4),
and maybe other special formulations may not be completely compatible, but
you will really have to go shopping for most of those.

My Mitsubishi has 4 wheel disk brakes with 4 channel ABS.  I flushed and
refilled with Castrol GT LMA (DOT 4) about 2 years ago.  System works better
than ever.  If you are concerned about retaining your warranty on a new car,
stick to the manufacturer's recommended fluids.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport