Question about UK Plates (no direct Spridget)

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question about UK Plates (no direct Spridget)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:02:25 -0400
I understand that UK plates had different colors. etc depending on year
of issue and that they normally stayed with the car.  (I've had a few
different plates and they all seem to be different!) So can anyone
explain the various differences?

Further I understand (mostly from photos) that "stick-on" plates were
acceptable for the front of the car where a solid plate was impractical.
What were the specifics on these "decals"?  Did they have to be a
certain size, color, etc?  Are there sources for reporductions, or is
this something any competant sign maker can accurately do?

A specific example: my 1960 Berkeley still has the original black and
yellow rear plate it was registered with in London in 1960.  A B&W photo
I have shows the car used to sport a decal-type plate on the front
bonnet and I would like to accurately reproduce that.

Thanks!

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL