Re: rear gas shocks and rear axles

To: rob thomas <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Subject: Re: rear gas shocks and rear axles
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 18:50:17 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetspriteclub@listbot.com
rob thomas wrote:

> Also, has there ever been a 1/4 elliptic sprung car that has been adapted to
> use semi elliptic springing?  It looks straight forwards but there is always
> the possibility of stresses that the body wasn't designed for.  Any insight
> would be welcome.  My 1966 donor with the close-ratio 5 speed would be a
> useful source of a good rear end as it has had extra bracketry for gas
> shocks and a panhard rod.  If I'm going to do some work on the early car, I
> might as well do it all!

I always wanted to convert my 1/4 leafs to 1/2 leafs. I did some
measuring and eyeballing. I think all you need is a stiffener in the
boot where the 1/2 leafs mount like on the later cars.
I never did get to it.  I can't imagine any stress points being
affected.
We know they did not do a whole lot of re-engineering on the Spridgets
thru the years. I believe the 1/2 leafs were more available and cheaper
so they just fit them to the cars as time went on.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ