Re: release bearing(throwout bearing)

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: release bearing(throwout bearing)
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 16:38:36 -0400
Cc: LColli3554@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Peter C. wrote:

> Just this..... keep the carbon bearing in the car, and your foot off the
> pedal except when actually moving the shift lever... any other time is
> abuse.  There have been reports of roller bearings squealing, if not
> failing, but these may be suburban legend.

My 74 came with a roller bearing in it when I purchased it.  I don't
know how many miles were on it but it failed in a very short period of
time after I got the car. (Less than 1000 miles)

There was no warning, one shift the clutch worked and the next shift was
impossible to make.  It didn't make any noise, it didn't squeal, it
didn't vibrate.....It just went away.....Totally away, as in, shifting
is no longer an option.......

When I took it apart to replace it, there was nothing left to replace,
the plastic was all in the bottom of the bell-housing.

I replaced it with a carbon bearing and all is well.  I just keep my
foot off the clutch except when shifting.......Peter's correct, they
last as long as the clutch disc that way.....

Kevin V.