FrankenSprite

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Thickos" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "vintage race list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: FrankenSprite
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 11:02:14 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
To all,

Since my last post to the vintage race list caused about 80 letters of
support, and one or two responses from the "obviously self-important"...
I've included that list again, just because it's nice to shine the light on
the weasels in this sport now and then.

As I begin the preparation of building a new (relative term) race car, I
realize I ought to keep a little notebook with me in the paddock area just
to keep notes on all the trick ideas I've seen on other Sprite race cars
over the years.

It would be fun to leisurely gather up info and ideas and build up a car
over a lengthy period of time, but since I've set the VSCDA's Vintage Fall
Festival at Road America as a target date to return to racing this year
(unrealistic as that may be...) I've really got to get this build up in
gear.

I'd like to hear suggestions from those of you that have brilliant ideas in
car preparation bouncing around in your skulls, or trick little subtleties
you may have noticed on someone's race Sprite.

First on my list of things is seating position. If I use the full caged
Bugeye tub I have (right hand drive), the big issue is whether I can mount a
decent race seat low enough and back far enough for optimum driving
position, safety, and comfort. If this car didn't already have a bar, I
would have considered opening the seat area of the cockpit 6 or 8 inches,
and reconstructing the cockpit surround... but there's a great bar in the
car now, so I'll start with what's there and see if it will work.

Another area is fuel cells. I'd like to hear from those of you that have
used the ATL celll that's retrofitted inside the stock tank. Considerations
are overall capacity, filler location, and center of gravity. The RRB has a
12 gallon cell that was mounted half in the trunk, half through the trunk
floor. It would not be ideal for a Bugeye. I want a filler neck in the rear
boot, preferably in the stock location.

What about windscreens? I've made them in the past form plexi or Lexan.
Since this car has a full cage, I think it will be difficult to come up with
something that looks as "snotty" as I'd like... any ideas? Pictures?

I do have an aftermarket Monza style front bonnet that I might work up for
the car in addition to the standard one.

So, let me hear from you. Anyone with interesting bits and pieces, please,
by all means, speak up. FrankenSprite will be assembled from "dead" or
"discarded" parts...so, if you've got something you think I might be able to
use, start naming a price.

Thanks again for all the letters of support.

WST
Flounder
Team Thicko