Re: Rusted bonnet hinges

To: "Packy Coleman" <deadboy@hooked.net>, "Spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rusted bonnet hinges
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:59:04 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
  Packy,
 I think ,what you will find ,has happened is that the bolt is siezed
in the hinge and not the theaded portion of the bolt rusted to the
captive nut in the body. This can sometimes be tough to get out. Here
is what has worked, well, for me , many times. Remove the hood and
lower the offending hinge all the way down. Heat the pivot portion of
the hinge with a torch and have an associate try to loosen the bolt by
quick mini jerks in both directions until it comes free, you may need
to get it cherry red to be effective. Should this method fail then you
are at the tedious point and must use a hacksaw blade with one end
taped as a handle and saw the bolt ends off , from the front and on
both ends. Tedious , but it does work. Then remove the threaded end of
the bolt with a pair of vise grips. Don't forget to use the usuall
precautions of working with a torch or other open flame. Should you
not have an oxy/acet. torch you may be effective using a propane one,
if it is not rusted too bad.

   Good Luck and don't burn up the car, Brad