Re: Floating VW

To: KGROWLER@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Floating VW
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:33:04 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/00 3:17:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, KGROWLER@aol.com
writes:

<< I recall back in the seventies an issue of MAD magazine with a picture of a
 VW floating in a pond with the caption:"If Ted Kennedy had been driving a
 Volkswagon, he'd be president today!">>>

 I was going to mention this when Allen said VW had an ad with a floating
 Beetle. It was actually parody in a 1974 National Lampoon compilation that
is
 quite a rarity. It seems Teddy's crack legal representation quickly got the
 book recalled and destroyed. I only saw it once at the time - a classmate in
 my high school chemistry class gave a copy to our teacher who was a Beetle
 driver and it hung on the chem lab bulletin board for a while. Wish I had a
 copy now. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There is a copy of the floating VW ad for sale on eBay (Your Personal Trading
Community) at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=383563549

All the parodies were based on this ad and the ones made for TV around 1967.
They even used a shot of a floating Beetle in the movie, "What's Up Doc" with
Ryan O'Neal and Barbra Streisand, which was made in 1972.  (Funny movie!)

But personally, this VW ad is better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=383396578

Take yer pick!

Allen Hefner