Re: Rear anti roll bars

To: midgetspriteclub@listbot.com, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear anti roll bars
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:19:16 -0700
W h y   n o t   a   r e a r   s w a y b a r ?

Funny - I was just reading an old issue of Grassroots (Jan/Feb '94) and this
question was raised.

Since I agree, I'll tell you my reasoning. You want both drive wheels to bear
down on the road for traction.
A rear sway bar pulls up on the inside rear wheel - ugh! -not good.  Spinny
spinny smoky phooey.

The leveler the car, the less lifting, so putting a swaybar on the front uses
the inside wheel's spring to resist the outside spring getting compressed -
therefore, the outside wheel's spring is stiffer, pushing down harder and
helping keep the car level- which means the leaning isn't reflected in the
back, where it would lift the inside wheel.

A front swaybar effectively helps raise the inside front tire off the road,
but the outside is firmly planted and should have sufficient grip to steer
the car.  No differential, no sweat. Lifting the inside rear, because you
have a normal diff, allows it to spin and you lose drive and speed. (With an
LSD, that's different)

Okay - spose you have a MINI. Front wheel drive. There the reverse is what to
do, since you want the front end compliant. Lifting a rear wheel in the air
creates no probs because the outside rear wheel has tons of gripping
pressure.  On my wildest racing mini, for paved ovals, where it was very
successful, we had a big bar in back and hydrolastic displacers in front,
connected across the front to keep downward pressure at all times. The diff
was welded solid, by the way.  1293 with a 48IDA Weber. 1200 lbs.
Wheeeeeeee.

David McCartney