Re: "Intelligence" required - Impact wrenches - VIN numbers

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Intelligence" required - Impact wrenches - VIN numbers
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:16:35 EDT
<<<<lugs sheared off>>>>

     Any shop which uses an un-harnessed impact wrench is probably second
guessing a lot of other stuff as well....   All the major tool sellers carry
torque sticks which act as an extension and provide a visual indication at a
specific torque. Problem is that one must be attentive enough to actually
watch for the indication.... They aren;t cheap, but they can be cheap
insurance as well....
      Nearly every Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche tech uses a good old torque
wrench. Last one in my shop who spun a lug off of a 911T at quitting time
because he was in a hurry to leave and thought he was smarter and quicker
than the impact wrench  (fat chance on either count....) got to fix it out of
pocket before he went home....
     I admit I do spin them onto MGBs and other cars (but not those dinky-@$$
Spridgets...) with the impact set on 1, but I use a torque wrench set to
spec. Spridgets? I just get Vinnie to hand tighten em.... When Vinnie gets
his hands on anything, it ain't goin' noplace. Capiscono, Frankie?