New to list/car trouble

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: New to list/car trouble
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:56:10 EDT
Dear Spridget owners,

My name is Richard and I have a 68 Midget that looks to be seriously
modified, I guess the guy before me (don't know him bought car from a garage)
really knew his stuff.  However, some things just don't seem right about the
car.  Maybe you can offer me some advice?

The car is supposed to be race tuned but really runs out of revs at about
5,500rpm and I tried changing from 4th to 3rd at 4,800 revs to get the revs
up in 4th but the wheels almost locked and the nose dived.  The carb is
supposed to be a racing car carb and has squareish looking holes at the top
with flaps at the top.  I though the flaps were slowing it down so removed
them but it made no difference.

The car is plain awkward to start and with the cooler weather here has got
harder and harder to get going.  Any ideas?

The car seems a bit darty when you go fast and more wallowy when you go slow.
 The suspension looks complicated and I cant understand it.  I put  more air
pressure in the back tyres and less in the front to balance out the dartiness
but haven't tried it out yet - will this work?

Whats all this stuff with roll bars I have a big bar near the back seats but
don't see how it can help the suspension unless it is the extra weight giving
downforce and grip to the tyres.

How can I get the car to go faster?  At the moment a lot of family cars seem
to overtake me?

Richard Head