I beat up my Midget

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: I beat up my Midget
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:22:21 -0400
I finally got my Midget on the road this morning.  I bolted in one
seat and left for work.  Seems to run as good as it used to run.
The only real problem I had was with the reverse lock out.  What happened
was the following; on the transmission where the shifter is installed are
2 pins that hold on the shifter cap.  The pin on the drivers side goes
through the housing which holds the shifter ball.  This pin fits into a
slot on the shifter ball.  The pin on the passenger side is only there
to hold the shifter cap in place and does not extend into the transmission.
What must of happened was as I installed the engine and transmission I
must have whacked the pin on the passenager side hard enough to drive it
onto the the area where the shifter ball is located.  I had driven it
back out with a drift, but I did not get it far enough out and it mushroomed
over a bit.  This mushroom allowed the shifter ball in place but it could
not go down into the normal position.  It was in the lift for reverse position
all the time.  The solution was to grind of the mushroom bit and that allowed
the shifter ball to drop all the way into place.  Oh yeah I also put the
bonnet on last night.

The drive to work was good and I had no problems.  Just 3 day late for the
rally :-)

Bill Gilroy