Austin-Healey Sprite V Lotus Elise

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Austin-Healey Sprite V Lotus Elise
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:37:19 EDT
Cc: matt_brazier@hotmail.com
Hi list,

Have just been the long way round to get some petrol for my car (90 pence a
litre if you are still interested in the price of gas).  Spotted a silver
Lotus Elise at the forecourt who started revving up his motor as I was about
to leave.  He left first and not to be intimated I thought I would give him a
run for his money.  Note that  I don't necessarily consider my Sprite
outclassed by an Elise.  I have a fully modifed car at a respectable weight
with good brakes and not far off the top end of the Elise (assuming it is
standard).  Experience dicates that often a performance car owner falls into
the lots of money but can't drive/hasn't got the ba**s for it category.

Sadly on this occasion while I missed 2nd gear (twice) the Elise was well
into the distance and in traffic.  I closed to within a few hundred yards,
cleared the traffic and decided to follow him on the dual carriageway.  He
turns left so braking absolutely as late as I can several things occur to me:

    I never brake this late from this speed (90mph I guess) for this exit
road.

    The brakes on the Sprite are truly impressive and I haven't locked the
wheels  mid corner.

    The car will make the corner.

    I have significantly closed the gap on the Elise.

None of this thinking helps me as I need 2nd gear while still in 3rd as the
Elise nimbly darts around my favourite mini-roundabout up ahead.  Finally in
2nd and flicking the back end of the car round on the throttle I pursue said
Elise (ooops did I mention this is all on the public highway).  When I
finally have more opposite lock than sense I lift off (never manage this
smoothly) and the car fish tails back into a straight line.

An SUV is between me and the Elise I decide to wait since another car is
front of the Elise.  The Elise goes straight on and I decide I might as well
go home rather than spend the next half hour chasing it down country roads.

I must add at this point that I NEVER did any DRAFTING of either lorries or
trucks.

Daniel1312 (who now remembers that the tyre pressure on the Sprite still need
checking)