Re: Sticky shifting

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sticky shifting
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:59:56 -0400
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:

> Since I got my 77 Midget running I have been tearing up the back roads
> trying to work out the bugs.  One thing that bothers me is the shifting
> seems to require to much pressure to get into gear (any gear).  The only way
> to describe it is as real notchy and not smooth.  It seem to get a bit
> worse when the car is warm.  I should have enough oil in the tranny,
> I filled this spring and I have seen no traces of leakage.  How smooth
> should the shifter be?

Here what I know so far.  A couple of listers (including a real man
running a Linux box w/ X)  asked if I used the correct oil in the
tranny.  I filled the tranny with 80-90w hypod gear oil.  The same stuff
that is in the rear end.

Gerard C. thought that the grease may be dried out at the base of the shifter
lever.  It is well greased with new grease done the night before Kevin's
rally.

Last thing to check is the level of the gear oil.  I will check that tonight
or tomorrow morning.  Currently my garage is filled with a new door that I
painted yesterday.  I thought I was done but my wife decided that it needed
to be trimmed in the same color as the trim on the house.
I painted it with a roller and was done in a flash.  Home improvement tip:
Get verbal agreement, than complete the job quickly (send the SO to Hawaii
if you have to) so the SO cannot see it in progress.
That cuts down on the changes.  I was just trying to finish it with the least
amount of work.  I figure a couple of hours out of my life to keep Lisa happy
is not that much, heck she puts up with a lot of crap from me, or so she says
:-)

Anyway when I check the oil I just jack the car up and stick my finger in the
little
hole in the side.  If I can feel the oil the level is correct.  Right guys?

Bill Gilroy