Re: Wishbone and Kingpin Frustration

To: "Spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wishbone and Kingpin Frustration
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:52:03 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
-----Original Message-----
From MACKINNON, DONALD <donald.mackinnon at bell.ca>

>thought.  The metal sleeve on the bushing has fused to the bolt so I'll
>melt the rubber a bit to separate the sleeve and bang the thing out.

Melting the rubber was good, but I think that you then have to heat the
exposed metal sleeve to get it to separate from the pin.  I am fairly
inexperienced but I heated and cooled and sprayed penetrant and heated and
cooled and sprayed penetrant, etc.  I was warned to take a look around at
what gas or brake lines might be within range of the torch on the other side
of the wheelwell.

>correct.)  The rear bolt is the real problem - - not so easy to bang on
>that one, and if I get it out, I'll probably distort the hinge

A fellow lister gave me a valuable hint to gain access to this one.  Leave
the nut half on ( or half off ) and place the end of a punch or similar ( I
used a long bolt ) into the space in the nut.  Now you can hammer from below
the floor.

>2.  I'm not quite sure how to remove the kingpin from the wishbone.
>From the diagrams, it looks like I can unscrew it using a slot in one
>end.

Yes, depending on it's condition.

  Given the state of the rest of the car (and the apparent lack of
>maintenance), I'm not sure I'll get enough torque on the thing to get it
>out.  If unscrewing it is the right thing to do and it doesn't work,
>what's plan B?  I suspect that the kingpin is attached to that shaft
>thingie pretty solidly.

Some people cut through the kingpin bottom and the pin diagonally?