Re: Dream machine response

To: bmantz@roanoke.infi.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dream machine response
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:48:51 EDT
It is torque that kills gearboxes.  Most performance tuning reduces torque
(eg anything that involves a different cam) so is not generally an issue.
BUT, a lot rpm in first gear is hard on the Spridget boxes.  A turbo (or
nitrous) is a sure fire way to dramatically shorten the life of the box.

The engine in my car put 100+bhp through a standard ribcase box for years
including a lot of 7,000rpm (did I mention this was a road car) and never
gave any trouble.  The car has a 5 speed now.

Paul is the gearbox expert so what does he say?

Daniel1312