Another Good Day, sorta.....

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Good Day, sorta.....
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 02:05:04 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Well,  the SO and I took part in Allen's CLue Rally today.  We did
considerably better than the last rally.  I'm happy to say that Wini (the
SO) had a blast, and cannot wait until the next one.  I'm really happy that
she's getting into the MG.  Last month (after the first rally in PA) she got
to drive the car for the first time.  Today's successful rally sunk the hook
in a little deeper.  THank you Allen for putting together an excellent
rally.  We really enjoyed ourselves.

But as with anything MG, there has to be a balance.  Once on the 100+ mile
trip there,  the throttle cable came loose at the carbs.  THen it happened
again during the rally.  I need to figure out a better way to connect it.
And my ride home was even more interesting.  We just got on the NJ turnpike
at exit 7 when my red alternator light went on.  SO I pull over,  and look
under the hood.  Apparently,  the belt,  while  tight (within torque
specs)simply fell off the pulleys.  OK,  so I reinstall it, and drive off.
ABout 1 mile further on,  the light goes on again.  THis time I almost make
it into a service area.  John GOttstein in his '75 Midget had to push me the
rest.  THank god for those bug rubber lips we had on the cars.  Anyway,  got
to look and sure enough the belt if off again.  After checking the water
pump and crank for play,  I check the alternator.  It seemed that the crappy
pulley (which is made of three pieces, two halves to the pulley and a big
nut that's pressed in and connects the pulley pieces) came loose from each
other.  SO I hade one side of the pulley turning at a  different speed as
the other side of the pulley.  THe different speeds caused the belt to spin
off.  A quick call home and my mother treked down from Brooklyn (about 60
miles one way) to bring me my extra alternator.  A field strip later I'm on
my way back home.  I did notice, though, that the pulley on the replacement
alternator was a one piece unit, not three.  Much better quality.  THe
lesson,  check those pulleys out there.  We can't just run into any store
and pick up an alternator so it's best we keep them in shape.

More tomorrow.  Hope everyone enjoyed their day.

MIke