Re: (kind of) new list member with clutch pressure problems

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: (kind of) new list member with clutch pressure problems
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:58:40 -0400
Cliff -

I don't know if this explains it, but let me tell you what happened with
my wife's Magnette (uses a similar shared brake/clutch master cylinder,
perhaps even the same one).  Out for a drive, and the clutch feels "low"
(longer stroke to get action).  Later that day, I have to pump it in
order to limp home.  The brakes are perfect, however

Take off the cap, and the reservoir is low.  Top it up, bleed the
clutch, and all is fine.

I haven't dug in to research it, but I suspect that the clutch side
takes fluid from a higher point in the reservoir as a way to make sure
you to check the fluid level before the brakes quit.  A fascinating bit
of forethought, if that's the case.

Can anybody else confirm my hypothesis?

Chris Kotting

P.S. Weird, the first two answers are from a Cotting and a Kotting.
What the heck are the odds of that?