Re: Crankshaft turning

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@roanoke.infi.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft turning
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:25:47 -0700
Bill,

I am by no means an expert on this, but I recently took a crankshaft in to
be repaired. The guy told me that the nitriding process (this is what mine
had) only penetrates to a certain depth, depending on how long it was
processed. In my case, this is a racing crankshaft that had been
cross-drilled and nitrided as well (as several other special treatments).
The center main was damaged from failure of one of the bearing shells. He
said the rest of the crank escaped warping and further damage due to the
nitriding process. The other journals only need to be micro-polished. You
can bet I was glad to hear that and am having it nitrided again.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A