Re: advice on head/driving lamps

To: Hlsinger@aol.com
Subject: Re: advice on head/driving lamps
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 02:05:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hlsinger@aol.com wrote:
> he high beams and driving lights did not work either at the high
> beam setting or the flash setting when we  got it.  The problem is in the
> combination switch.  It has no continuity between the purple wire and the
> blue/white wire in high beam or flash positions.

  That's common when the car doesn't used much and the high beams
don't ever get used.

  Clean the contacts with some fine emory paper or a file. You can
see them if you remove the steering column shroud, usually.

  If you feel daring, you can use a steel file when the circuit
is live. (it's always live). Then you'll know when you have it working,
just don't short it out.

> Should the driving lights and/or the halogen sealed beams be put on separate
> circuits with relays to keep from burning the contacts out of the combination
> switch?

  Legally, you MIGHT need to wire it so that the driving
lights go off when the high beams are on. (but not when
flashing). There is likely a limit in your area on how much
forward lighting you can have at one time, and this combination
is usually over.

  Which is why on modern cars that have daytime running
lights, they go off when the high beams come on.

  That being said, I don't think any state/province ever
checks this, so this information is more of an anecdote
than anything else.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca