Re: Spridget halfshafts?

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>, "Martin Johnson" <MJohnson@cfworks.com>
Subject: Re: Spridget halfshafts?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:25:16 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
From Martin Johnson <MJohnson at cfworks.com>
To: 'Beckers' <beckers@iprimus.com.au>; Martin Johnson
<MJohnson@cfworks.com>; 'Jeff Boatright' <jboatri@emory.edu>;
<midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Sent: 07 September 2000 19:18

> Midget & Sprite Club - http://www.midgetspriteclub.com/
>
> To be completely candid, I don't know how much yet.  However, I do know
that
> the metal forging company I work for is constantly looking for new
markets.
> We have traditionally made parts for the military and aerospace customers,
> but now we make some interesting and innovative things for the commercial
> market.  Therefore, I'm going to bring one of my halfshafts to our
> engineering department to have a look at.  We used to avoid the automotive
> industry completely, but the march of progress and innovation has lead us
> new markets.  I'm going to find out how much it would cost for us to
produce
> these in at least two ways:  As a solid forging with an upset flange, or
as
> a cold rolled fine grain rod with an inertia welded flange.  Someone in
> engineering may come up with some other ideas too.  Either one would be
heat
> treated and then machined.  Maybe it would become a new field for us?
>
> Thanks to everyone who supplied information on this topic.  I hope the
> result of this will be less expensive and more durable parts.
> Martin

How about having the hubs recast to accept different bearings/double
bearings?  Might be a good opportunity to solve more problems at the same
time.  I have seen double bearing hubs advertised as conversion kits,
sealed-for-life bearings, hardened shafts etc etc.
If the money is going to be spent on redesigning the shafts, perhaps the
'enthusiastic-driving-style' listers could supply further recommendations?
I read a book recently (doesn't make me an expert, though!) that talked
about the modification of the axle cases by welding on ends made from a
better steel to stop the stretching of the threads and deformation of the
case where the bearings fit.  Imagine a Spridget axle converted so that it
neither leaks or breaks shafts!!!!!!!!
Daniel?  WST?  Over to you.