Gear Stick/Shift

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear Stick/Shift
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 20:29:49 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
I hope this has a simple answer.

The gear shift in my GAN5 Midget isn't sprung to any particular position in
the gate. I would have expect the 'at-rest' position to have been between
3rd and 4th, but it will stay just about anywhere I care to leave it. It
doesn't seem to make any difference to changing gear except when I forget
and try to change up from 2nd to 3rd and hit 1st instead. This tends to
happen when I see another MG and exchange the usual friendly wave- so a bit
embarassing really!

I had a quick look at the extension. I took out the antirattle spring
assembly but there was no spring, just the bolt. However, even if this was
fitted I don't see that it would 'park' the gear shift.

Please save my gears and tell me what the fix is.

                                Thanks,

                                        Dave C- UK