Re: What happened to Road&Track?)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What happened to Road&Track?)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:25:37 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/00 9:05:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rfeibusch@loop.com writes:

<< >Fellow MG enthusiasts,

 >I've subscribed to R&T since the '60's, and have a collection that goes back
 >to the late '40's.  The de-evolution of this once fine magazine is very sad.
 >At first it was just an amateur enthusiast newsletter; then it grew into a
 >wonderful, informative and creative magazine.  Now, it is basically a sales
 >catalogue
 >for new cars with a few boring articles inserted between the ads.  When it
 >arrives in the mail now, I find that I can read what I want in it in about 5
 >minutes.  If I take a few old issues from my collection to read again, I
 >could spend hours with them!
 >
 >I know it was bought and sold several times.  Did it get burdened with a
 >debt service that requires that the thing be full of ads?  Is there a
 >conspiracy to destroy everything that I like or love (family-owned
 >businesses, old-growth forests, cars with personality, politicians with a
 >heart, beautiful music, etc.)?  Or am I just getting old?
 >
 >Anyone have any comments on this?
 >
 >Don Scott
       mga <mga@napanet.net>

 Don,

 It's the corperate buyout of the world - Read a magazine, watch TV, listen
 to the radio; its all the same - my friend Dave Barry up in Santa Rosa, CA
 calls them all advertizing delivery systems - no more, no less! >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't read Rod & Truck anymore, or Cart & Drivel, but I used to back in the
late '60s and '70s.  They often had topical articles for the British Iron
fans.  The loss of AH, MG and Triumph in the USA pretty well put an end to
the magazine's usefulness for me.

I have been getting British Car magazine for the past few years, since I
bought my Midget.  I am quite impressed with the magazine, and especially
with the current issue.  I just finished the article on Team Thicko.  I gotta
get to one of their races!

Even the ads are topical and useful.  If you are at all interested in any
British Car, and you don't get British Car magazine, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!!
 Rush to http://www.britishcar.com and subscribe.

I am not affiliated with this magazine in any way, but I want to see it
flourish because we need it.

BTW, Rick, is that THE Dave Barry who is your friend?  I love his work.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport