Re: Fun with Electrics!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fun with Electrics!
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 02:07:19 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/00 10:32:52 PM, macleans@earthlink.net writes:

<< I did want to use that switch as it had
the correct date on it for my car (original switch to this car).  Now I
get to drain the brake system and bleed it again.>>

Mike,

You do not have to bleed the brake system to change the brake light switch.
Just have the new switch at hand so you can install it as soon as you remove
the other one.  You should not loose more than a few drops of brake fluid.
There is no pressure  in the system.

<<The license plate light in the rear does not illuminate when the
lights are turned on, have not figured this one out yet. >>

Check the grounds.

<< The only openings for it are the triangular ones that expose the bar to
the chrome escutions on the rear deck.  The slot extends past these openings
just enough to equal the length of the retainer bar.  How the heck are you
supposed to put it in there without
cutting a slit in the pocket?  <*snip*> I slid the front bar in the pocket at
the front of the top and tried to pull it over the windshield to tuck it
around and under the lip
on the windshield frame.  It seems to be an inch to an inch and a half too
short!  How do you stretch these things?>>

Often one side of the pocket is just a little longer than the other side.
Try the bar in both direction to see if this is the case.  If not cut the end
of the pocket, the bar will not slide out in normal use.  Tops shrink with
age but try putting it out in the sun for a few hours.  If it stretches
enough to go on the car then leave it on for several days to a week and it
may stay stretched for a while.

Good Luck

Hope everything went well with the your wife's eye surgery.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1967 Sprite Mk III (in progress)