Please identify this motor

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Please identify this motor
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:41:46 -0700
so I know what kind of shop manual I need to get.

   On this antique motor 1098cc motor I bought, there is a metal id plate
with the numbers :

     8G150 R S 41653

  Cast into the block on the right side : 240
  Cast into the block on the left side : A 2L 6
  Cast into the block near the rear is :  12 G 432

   Is that enough to tell anyone what year it is and what I should be
buying for a manual ?

    And by the way "antique" part is a JOKE !!! Don't flame me :)  My
entire knowledge of British cars is 26 years of Singer ownership, I have
never owned a different make of Brit car.  Singer's since the early 30's
have been overhead cam, I had this motor in my garage for 2 days before I
realized it is a pushrod motor.  Made me laugh out loud that I bought a
pushrod motor and didn't even know it.  I have nothing against pushrod
motors, just never worked on one before and seem old technology to
me.  This is going to be FUN !

   I have only pulled 2 bearings so far but they look good, the cylinders
look good, the water passages are not too plugged up, the valves don't look
too bad either.  I think I have a rebuildable motor here, I will get things
crack tested on Monday and the block boiled out.   There is some minor
surface rust in the cylinders from the motor being stored outside at the
wrecking yard with the manifolds off and of course being on it side,
manifold side up to the rain but its not bad, I am happy.  I assume I need
to put in hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel, correct ?

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing ~~~~~~~and \/    \/  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                              .oooO  Oooo.
Bug Writer er...Programmer            (   )   (   )
                                                        \_)  (_/
              mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/