Re: Alternate tranny for 1500...

To: helejohn@neteze.com, adrian@workgroup.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternate tranny for 1500...
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:52:57 EDT
As the person who posted the original information I can say that John is not
correct but the answer is still Yes and No.

The Merkur 4ti is basically the same as the Sierra box Frontline and others
use in all their Spridget 5 speed conversions.  However, I think only
Frontline are the only person with a kit to hang this box on the back of a
1500.

Yes the Merkur box does have different ratios and they are closer than the
standard ratios eg: standard 3.65, 1.97, 1.37, 1.00, 0.82 whereas the Merkur
are 3.36, 1.81, 1.26, 1.00, 0.83.  If you compare this ratios to the 1500 box
I can't see there is a problem.

No the box will not fit because the Merkur box is designed for a vee 6 so has
a longer input shaft.  The shaft can be shortened (not recommended) or the
input shaft and corresponding gear can be swapped with the 4 cyl (UK spec)
shaft and gear - obviously this puts up the price and entails a full gearbox
rebuild.  However, some early boxes may not have the slightly closer ratios
anyway.

Minor difference in gasket but otherwise the changes over the years to the
boxes are not going to cause a problem.

If you can find a box and are prepared to spend a bit of time and money you
will end up with a really neat conversion - oh and don't forget the quick
shift gear lever.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 28/09/00 06:33:54 GMT Daylight Time, helejohn@neteze.com