No front brakes!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: No front brakes!
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:48:14 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
A question to the list:
Is there some form of spridget racing that would not require the use of
front brakes?

When I bought the Morris, I also bought the front end of a spridget.
Everything forward of the motor mounts had been torched off a wrecked race
spridget.  It had the upgrade springs, tube shocks, heavy sway bar, 7/16"
studs, the works.  What struck me when I was pulling off the front hubs to
send to another lister was that there were no rotors, calipers, or brake
lines.  Well, I thought, they might have pulled that stuff off after the
wreck and carefully replaced the hubs/bearings/dust caps so they wouldn't
lose them.  Wrong.
>From the grease and dirt evidence, absence of scraping around the
appropriate holes, and finally from the corroded-into-place plug in the
front brakeline  hole in the splitter it was clear that this car had been
operating without front brakes.  Can anybody shed some light on this strange
observation?  I know shaving weight on a race car is important, but I'd
throw away the doors before I gave up the front brakes.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)