Re: Valves and heads

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: Valves and heads
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:51:46 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike Rambour wrote:
> Ok, my 1100cc motor is in the shop and looks good, if nothing is cracked
> its going to be an easy rebuild.  I have had different opinions (How
> surprising is that?) on what to do with the valve seats.  I am of the
> opinion that I should have the head machined for hardened seats for
> unleaded gas but several people off-list have said don't bother.

  It would, IMHO, definately not be worth removing the head
and going through all that hassle for hardened seats on a normal
car that is running and driving.

  However, if you have the head off and apart, that's most of
the work really. It might be a good idea if you can get quality
work done at a fair price. Of course it's easy for me to spend
your money, I've never done it and haven't had problems.

> That  is part fantasy, I am not sure a 1934 Singer is appropriate
> daily driver even with a spridget motor.

  I took my spridget to work yesterday, and it reminded me why
I don't do it very often.

  Most LBCs are great cars to drive when you want to drive, lots
of sensory thrills, the whole bit. However, I am reminded often
that when I just want to BE somewhere and my mind is on other
things, it becomes a bit of a bother.

> One last item, on the Singer, the oil/temp/tach gauges are
> mechanical,  so I assume i will need spridget gauges.  What were the
> oil/temp gauges on a Sprite ?

  Most later spridgets had the "dual guage" which was mechanical
for both needles. The temperature bulb screwed into the head just
at the water pump, and had ether in the hose that would expand and
move the needle.

  The main advantage to the dual gauge is that it's two gauges
in one hole, other than that it's expensive and fragile. The ether
tube eventually breaks, you lose the ether, and it's basically
garbage. Rebuilding one and buying one are close to the same
price.

  If you have enough dashboard holes and proper decals, you could
likely use any gauge you want. The capillary oil tube is generic
if you get the fittings right, and the temperate hole in the head
likely accepts electric senders as well if you look around.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca