Re: USS Cole (NO LBC)

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: USS Cole (NO LBC)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:13:55 -0400
Cc: boxweed@thebest.net, millerls@ado13.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
As an ex combat sea going squid from years back, I recognize this speech.  It's
been used for years in various forms.  It most assuredly is canned, coming from
the propaganda machines of our government.  What has always sucked about it is
the falseness.   The falseness of a journalist pretending that he magically is
transformed into an expert on what goes on when a ship is hurt, when it's being
repaired, and what it's like to be on board one.

By all means, feel sorrow for the attack, offer prayers for the families of the
dead, and be proud of the crew.  But you don't need a cock and bull story to do
it with.  The attack and the damage was as bad as it looked; no more, no less.
The event doesn't need deceit.  The truth is bad enough.

If you ever have the opportunity to meet a crewmember from the Cole, as them
about it.  They'll hate the deceit, every bit as much as other crewmembers of a
wounded ship who did their job and served with honor.

At least this ship was at a port, sometimes  it happens well out at sea.  Then
you can't just tie up to the pier for power and water, and extend the gangplank
for workcrews and medical assistance.