SUs working! But tuning question (kinda long)

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUs working! But tuning question (kinda long)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 19:30:04 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Wow! I put the SUs on the Midget today and they worked! I was rather
pleased, since these are the first SUs I've ever worked on - cleaned them
up, put in a kit (inc. new throttle shafts), and put them on. Set them up as
per Haynes and crossed my fingers. Turned on the switch for a bit to let the
bowls fill and see if anything bad was going on. Turned it over a little
with no luck. Pulled out the choke and tried again. ROAR! The beast sprang
to life! If you noticed my earlier fuel pump question, I was wondering how
that was going to work out. But it looks like its working fine, unless the
pump has any bearing on my next question.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get the idle speed down. The tach on
the car is broken, so I picked up a volt/tach/dwell meter at Trak Auto this
afternoon. When I start out it was idling at something like 2400! After
mucking around I finally got it down to 1000 or so, but it was running
REALLY rough. So I worked on the mixture as instructed by Haynes and now it
is running pretty smooth, but idling around 1500-1600. Should be 1000,
right? But both throttle adjusting screws are just making contact with the
arms, not really pushing on them at all. I did take a lot of care to make
sure the throttle plates were seating nicely when I replaced the shafts, but
I won't entirely rule out something funny there. I tried to balance them as
best I could with the "listen to the hiss" method.

Some technical info on the car:

1971 Midget 1275 (stock? bored? don't know - but I assume stock)
Carbs - AUD 136 (carbs an manifold are off a 1967 Midget 1275)
Needles - AN
Engine - 12CJ/D/H 3xxxx (can't recall the exact number)

Note that VB and Moss indicate that the AUD 136 was used on 1098 engines,
but is there any reason for them to act strange on my 1275?

I can't see any way the pump could cause this. If the pressure was too high,
I'd get flooding. But that isn't happening.

One thing I haven't done is check the timing. I'll try to do that soon, like
tomorrow if possible since I know the manual emphasizes that timing and so
on should be correct first. I'll also try hooking up the tach to my minivan
and compare it to the one in the dash to see if the tach may be reading
high.

Sorry for the long post. But any suggestions?

Eddie
1971 Midget