Re: books and catalogs

To: ryan marro <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: books and catalogs
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 20:52:37 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
ryan marro wrote:

>  The list can
> feel free to flame me if I am off my rocker.  If there is a better (or at
> least complimentary) manual out there than the Haynes (like maybe a complete
> idiot's guide), I'd sure like to know.

My views on manuals.....
Haynes is fair for quick jobs and quick reference.
Bently is the manual to have if you plan on serious work.
There are many different repair manuals out there, I personaly like Ken
Ball's book too. Of course the factory service manuals can't be beat but
are reprinted in the Bently book.

The use of pictures in catologs may help knowing what parts belong to a
sub system but to use these are repair manuals is asking for trouble.

Nuts and bolts are nothing special, all can be had at local hardware
stores (head studs and the like excuded) In fact, I purchased every size
nut and bolt along with some *better* than original hardware from
xbolts.com off the internet.
Nuts with star washers already attached for Tenax studs and crash pads
make re-assembly so much easier. Stainless 1/4 28s and nickle plated
bolts that show also make for a nice looking repair. I have even used
the nyloc nuts on my rod bearings rather then buy new ones from the
suppliers. Never a problem, where do you think they get them?

I am on the LB Car co's mailing list and I can't believe some people
would actualy pay what they want for some of the crap they sell! Moss is
moss, I have not bought directly from them or one of their distributors
since 1989. I still get their crap filtered down every now and then so I
know the quality is still as good as any taiwan made item.
Most of you know I hate moss, This is my right. Some of you love moss,
this is your right. I have read the letters in the moss news letter,
they never printed mine!
I bet they never printed Jay's either.

--
Frank Clarici