Re: Tried everything ... still won't start!

To: DuhCaddyhm <wadleigh@syix.com>
Subject: Re: Tried everything ... still won't start!
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:25:37 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sue,

Put a spark plug into the #1 plug wire and ground the plug against the head.
Turn over the starter and look at the spark on the exposed plug.  Do you
smell gas at the exhaust pipe after cranking for a bit? If you have gas
going in, compression, and a decent spark, it will run.  Triple check the
firing order, then do it again.

If you are anywhere near Davis, give me a call.  If you are within a
reasonable, and hopefully scenic, drive distance, I can stop by and give you
a hand.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
(530)753-5029

>Hi All !!
>I'm new to the list, but have actually been here for a while.  Lots of
>great info and fun.  Now I need a bit of "MG expertise"!
>
>Problem:  '74 Midget.  Won't start.  Turns over and acts like it's
>trying, but just hasn't enough oomph.  Had the head done, drove it home
>(four blocks) and hasn't started since.  Here's what I've already
>done/checked ..... what's next???
>
>New plugs, gapped right (second set); new plug wires, all correctly
>aligned on the distrib cap.  Starter replaced, works great.  Battery
>new, fully charged, new cables, clean terminals, connections good.
>Coil, CB points, condenser all replaced (seem to be okay), gaps and
>connections good, current at the points and coil is good.  Rechecked and
>reset the valve clearances.  Pulled the distrib and realigned the drive
>dog correctly (it was out about a notch).  Just for grins and giggles I
>replaced the radiator and put in a new stereo and speakers, thinking it
>would make sooth the beast .. no such luck.
>
>So where do I go from here???  Thanks for the help!
>
>Sue, northern California (which is also bigger than Wales)
>'74 Midget
>'65 Midget
>'65 MG-1100

Regards,