Replacement Panel Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacement Panel Questions
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 02:28:20 EST
Alright Guys and Gals, I need your expertise...

As a self-instruction project in restoration, welding, hair-pulling, and
teeth-gnashing, I'm redoing much of a "solid" '65 Spridget tub.  Here's my
concern-- I ordered some panels from Moss to redo the rear corners.  They are
Steelcraft and BMH (British Motor Heritage) and seem to be of generally
excellent fit and quality, except for the inner fender pieces (Steelcraft).
I need to replicate the bottom corners of the trunk, where the trunk closing
panel meets the outer and inner fender panels.  When I ordered the inner
wheel arch panel replacement (Moss # 455-085) (I don't need the entire
quarter replaced, only the bottom 25% at the trunk), I ended up with a piece
that replicates the wheel well lip as it should where it marries with the
outer fender, but it's essentially a flat piece beyond the arch.  There's
substantial extra metal, but instead of bending perpendicular from the arch
to make part of the wheel well, it just lies flat.  Am I expected to somehow
make the compound curve bend away from the lip with the extra material
(yikes!) or instead take a piece of blank stock, curve it, and butt-weld it
into the modified inner fender arch piece.  How have you guys done it?  I can
do up some digital pics and send them, if needed to supplement my limited
explanation.
As a side question, do you guys take all the black coating off the inside of
the new pieces or do you just remove to shiny metal, weld it up and worry
about the outside only?  Massive TIA....

Larry Ruggiero  '65 Midget
Warner Robins GA