Re: Noisy 1500 @ 2700

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy 1500 @ 2700
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:12:52 -0500
Before you panic completely (start dropping the sump and contemplating a
rebuild), check the engine mounts, particularly the right side.

The catalytic converter is very near the right engine mount, and the
tendency of the Z-S carb to run rich meant that the cat-con could get
V-E-R-Y hot.  On almost all 1500 Midgets I've seen with any mileage on
them the right engine mount was either collapsed or recently replaced.

Check the rear tranny mounts, too, as those tend to fare poorly as well.

If the mounts are collapsed you will get all manner of thumps, ticks and
buzzes appearing and disappearing at various RPMs as bits of the car
resonate with the engine vibrations.  The noise going away on
acceleration and deceleration could be mounts, as the whole assembly
shifts back and forth if the mounts are sloppy.

That having been said, the 1500 IS hard on the bottom end bearings, so
after you get the mounts diagnosed, it might be worth dropping the sump
for a look-see.  The main and rod bearings can be replaced with the
engine still in the car.

Chris K.