Re[2]: dash mounted turn signal indicator du>

To: SAUTHOFF PATRICIA JEAN <Patricia.Sauthoff@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re[2]: dash mounted turn signal indicator du>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:21:53 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello SAUTHOFF,

              the shift into second, before going into first "lines up
              the gears" in the tranny.. an old trip used i used to
              use in VW's.. .. also without syncros for first gear,
              which is the reason for the "grunch" if you try to shift
              into first while rolling...

              before the "invention" of syncro rings, all manual
              transmissions were "crashboxes".. where double clutching
              was necessary to get the unused gears turning, before
              any shift... either up or down... the early syncromesh
              ones didn't bother with them for first gear... like our
              healeys...

              but beware... i found that the second gear syncros are
              fragile, and the practice of using 2nd gear to get it
              lined up for first gear will prematurely wear out the
              second gear syncros... as mine has done... now i must
              double clutch to prevent the grunch on ANY shift into
              second... ... take care..

Sunday, November 19, 2000, 9:20:18 PM, you wrote:

SPJ> the reason i shift into 2nd first is because for once i did what someone
SPJ> told me to.  (this is a rare occurence don't think i do it a lot :).  and
SPJ> i didn't a few times and it made horrible grinding sounds.  if the car is
SPJ> rolling i start in 2nd, again to avoid nasty noises, but if i'm stopped
SPJ> completely i was told i can't shift into 1st first.  i don't know how or
SPJ> why this is the case, but it works.

SPJ> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, ryan marro wrote:

>> This one is probably right up Frank Clarici's alley (hopefully).
>> My dash mounted turn signal indicator on my Bugeye is always on (when the
>> ignition is on).  The Lucas flasher I had took what seemed like five minutes
>> to "warm up" before it would blink (and then it would blink very slowly).  I
>> tried to order a replacement from Moss, but they sent the wrong type and
>> when I returned it they had to back-order the correct one.  I went down to
>> Auto Zone and bought the "universal for American cars" 3-spade connector
>> type.  I installed it in place of the Lucas, and all the lights blinked when
>> they were supposed to blink and quickly.  The only problem is that the dash
>> light is always on (until you activate the turn signals, then it blinks).
>> How can I fix this?  Is it the flasher?  Can I put something in the line to
>> the dash light to reverse the output so that the light will always be off
>> until the turn signal is activated?  If I need to test the wiring
>> harness/bulb sockets, etc, what do I look for?  (I have a voltmeter, but
>> don't know what I'm testing for).  Any help would be appreciated.  The light
>> is especially annoying at night.  Why can't the lights behind the
>> speedo/tach be that bright?
>> Ryan Marro

Best regards,
 Bill