Re: 2 amps, or nor 2 amps? THAT is the question...

To: "Christopher M West" <chris_west@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 2 amps, or nor 2 amps? THAT is the question...
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:02:55 -0000
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From Christopher M West <chris_west at juno.com>
To: <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Sent: 19 November 2000 23:46

> Since you are going to all the trouble to do this work, why don't you
> improve on the factory and fuse the headlamp circuit?  I had a short in
> an unfused headlamp circuit in another car and it almost melted down the
> whole loom.
>

> Chris
>
> "60 Mk.1  et al.
Due to the way the relays are wired, the loom is protected as far down as
the relay box, about 8-inches from the first headlight.  The wiring from the
switch to the relay carries less than 1 amp to actuate the relay, so is
unlikely to suffer.  The relay itself would be the first thing to blow as
the wiring downstream is rated at 60+amps continuous whilst the relay dies
at 40 amps.  The bulbs draw 22 amps at max.  I totally agree that fused
lamps are a good idea but I had to decide whether I could trust the relays
to do their jobs, against the likelihood of the fuses getting wet from the
front wheels and corroding( as I couldn't find waterproof fuseblocks.  If I
ever find some, I will use them. )
 Thanks for the suggestion.
Rob