Re: 7 dead generators?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 7 dead generators?
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:28:45 EST
In a message dated 12/5/00 9:32:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spritenut@Exit109.com writes:

<< I test generators with the wires off and
 use a test light to see if it's putting out. ground the test light and
 hook up the probe to the large terminal. Is this correct? >>

Frank -
The way to check is to run a jumper wire between the large and small
terminals of the genny.  I made up a short length of insulated wire with
alligator clips at each end.  Make sure the clips do not touch the generator
case (insulated clips are best, i found out the hard way).  Hook one
voltmeter (or test light) lead to the middle of the jumper (obviously remove
insulation from small section of jumper wire) and the other lead to earth.
Good luck.

Pete G.
Southington, CT