Re: Fw: VIRUS ALERT

To: Bushwacker4@prodigy.net, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: VIRUS ALERT
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:48:49 EST
In a message dated 12/07/2000 6:58:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bushwacker4@prodigy.net writes:

> WRONG...WRONG...WRONG!!!
>
> You can get the virus by opening your email. I just had a Kak virus that got
> in when the email message was in the preview window. The Ka type viruses do
> not appear as an attachment, they attach themselves to the text files of the
> email. Best thing to do is download the latest definitions so that your AV

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Correct...but...AOL does not offer a preview window.  So the 15 million AOL
users have to actually open the e-mail to get the virus.  AOL users, if you
run Automatic AOL (formerly Flashsessions), turn OFF the "Download" button so
no viruses are downloaded automatically.  When AOL downloads a zipped file it
then unzips it.  It is then too late.  Make sure you know the person who is
sending the file and that it isn't a virus.  If Ed hadn't warned me that he
had that virus, I certainly would have downloaded it because he is always
sending me stuff.

And I agree ENTIRELY with keeping your AV program up to date with current
definitions.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget