Tach-drive generator questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tach-drive generator questions
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:02:20 FILETIME=[202AA830:01C06394]
List,
My car is back on the road again after about a month of dry dock.  I have a
newly rebuilt tach-drive generator installed.  I have a couple of questions.
  First, the local guy who rebuilt it said that with the new bearings and
the type of grease he used, that I would no longer need to oil the oiler.
Is this true?  Does anyone else run this type of generator?  Mine sounds
like a small blender whirring away under the hood (it's much louder than the
later, non-tach drive, Lucas I previously had under the hood).  Another
thing the guy told me was that I should make sure I keep the belt fairly
loose to ensure that I don't mess up the generator.  Is this also true?  The
ignition light comes on when I turn on the key, but goes off as soon as the
engine is cranked.  Should this light come on while sitting at a traffic
light?  If it should, maybe my carbs aren't set correctly (causing the car
to idle too high).  Once I get a cable long enough to reach the tachometer,
are there any considerations for installing the gear box and cable to
prevent ruining them?  I've heard that it is easy to lock the little boogers
up.  Incidentally, I have a cable that is approximately 28" long that I
thought was my tach cable.  The threads on the ends fit, but it is too
short.  It would appear that the only possible use would be for a RHD car as
the tach would be on the same side of the car as the dynamo.  Anybody need
this one?
Ryan