Re: Bugeye Engine Rebuild

To: Jeff24fan@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Engine Rebuild
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:25:24 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Kristen,

I had my 1275 rebuilt at a cost of $2100 at a local Atlanta shop,
Neil's Restorations. Practically the only non-new part that went back
in was the crank shaft. The only labor I did was removing the engine
and transporting it to and from the shop. This saved some on labor
and storage. All machine shop work was farmed out by Neil to a shop
he trusts. Their work included balancing.

 From my limited experience of shopping prices in GA and AL, I think
that the $5000 that was quoted you is high. Prices I was quoted
ranged from $1000 (I think that would have been a "cosmetic" rebuild)
to $3000. Note, mine easily could have gone over $3000 if the crank
was shot or if I wanted more done by either shop.

If for some reason the shop that quoted you $5000 thinks that your
948 is in such bad shape that it'll take 5k to rebuild it, possibly
you should get a second opinion or maybe another 948?

Hope this info helps,

Jeff

At 12:18 AM -0500 12/21/00, Jeff24fan@aol.com wrote:
>Hello Boys;
>
>Newcomer to this email list. Please be gentle :)  I currently own a '79
>Carmine Red MG Midget and a Cherry Red/Surface Rust :) '59 Bugeye Sprite. The
>MG is nearly mint (21K original miles) other than the paint job it
>desperately needs and will be getting this spring. The Bugeye is in need of a
>complete restoration which I will begin in the Spring as well. My question to
>all of you is, any ideas what an engine rebuild for a 948cc should run? I got
>a quote for $5000 and nearly had a heart attack. I'm very much a purist and
>wish to keep the car as original as possible, but I wasn't sure if any of you
>could give me an idea of what prices you have heard of. I plan on keeping the
>original smoothcase tranny and will have that rebuilt as well by a company
>out of Connecticut, but the engine is an issue! Any insight would be greatly
>appreciated!
>
>Kristen
>
>'01 Mitsubishi Eclipse
>'79 MG Midget
>'59 Bugeye Sprite

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu